Pure mountain air, movement and exploring the beauty of Slovak nature – hiking is all of this. The village Podbanské is the crossroads as well as the starting point for marked hiking trails. The area offers visitors unique possibilities for spending their leisure time throughout the year. Active hikers will find hikes suitable for them and less skilled hikers less demanding walking routes.
For active hikers we recommend:
- The red marked trail „Tatra artery" passes through the important Podbanské village, which can be followed to Štrbské mountain lake, or in the opposite direction to the entrance of the Račkova valley (2 hours), Žiarska valley (4 hours) and up to the entrance of the Jalovecka valley (6 hours).
- A yellow marked trail leads directly from the village to the end of the Ticha valley from where it is possible to continue along the bordering Kasprov peak (1 985 meters above sea level - 6 hours), or over the Závory saddle (1 876 m - 5 hours 30 min) to the end of the Kôprova valley.
- The green marked trail leads to the end of the Kôprova valley, with a turnoff to Kmeťov waterfall (3 hours), or continuing over Kôprova saddle and Mengusova valley to the Poprad and Štrbské mountain lake (10 hours). The blue marked trail leads to the end of Kamenista valley to Pyšné saddle and from here there a climb to the highest peak of the Western Tatras, Bystra (2 248 above sea level) is possible.
- The most popular green marked trail leads to the Kriváň peak (2 494 above sea level), either directly from the village (5 hours) or from Tri Studnicky, which is 7 km away (3 hours 30 min).
For less active hikers we recommend:
- The crossroads in Ticha valley: When following the s-shaped tarred road leading to the hotel you reach a small bridge over the Belá River and in the valley you follow the tarred road to the crossroads in Ticha valley (45 min). You return the same way.
- Kamenistý stream: The blue marked trail takes you to a small bridge over Kamenistý stream. Before the bridge you take an unmarked trail downstream along the river until you reach another small bridge. You return on the red track, the „Tatra artery" to the village (45 min).
- Kokava bridge: Take the state road in the direction of Štrbské mountain lake and after about 100 m turn right onto a forest track which takes you through forests and meadows to the Kokava bridge. After crossing over the bridge you return to the village on the other side of the river (1 hour 30 min).
- Nadbanské: Continue along the s-shaped road in the direction of the hotel where you turn right to the bridge over the Belá river. In the valley you turn right and after about 200 m you reach the so-called „Kravska road", which you follow to the Nadbanské village. You can return the same way or along the state road (30 min).
- Podbanské surroundings: Continue along the marked trail to the crossroad at Hotel Pieris***, from here straight on to the Podbanské ski lift, through the small woods along the slope to the SKI buffet under Kriváň, from there continue through the woods to the tarred road leading to Hotel Permon****, from the hotel through the forest along the Belá river.